Feb 27, 2024
Traditional Undergraduate Catalog 2019-2020 Archived Catalog
Guidelines and Procedures
Students wishing to apply for admission should proceed as follows:
- Register to take the ACT or SAT examination during the junior or senior year of high school and have scores sent to John Brown University.
- Provide John Brown University with a copy of the official high school transcript.
The following high school courses are recommended as college preparation:
Natural Science-3 units (two of three should be biology, chemistry, or physics)
Mathematics-3 units (Algebra I and higher)
Social Studies-3 units
American History-1 unit
Foreign Language-2 units
Total Credits-16 units
The following are recommended for admission to programs in science and engineering:
Natural Science-3 units
Social Studies-3 units
Total Credits-14 units
- Submit all of the following:
- Completed application for admission
- Signed statement on the application form affirming that you have read, understand, and agree to abide by the university’s lifestyle expectations as stated in the Student Handbook
- ACT or SAT test scores (applicants 21 years of age or older and international applicants may be admitted without ACT or SAT scores)
- Completed high school transcript or equivalent
- References from individuals who can address your spiritual and academic character
- $25 (non-refundable) processing fee
- Health and immunization records, including date of Measles/Rubella vaccination
- Official transcripts of any college or post high-school credit, mailed directly to JBU from the awarding institution(s).
- Certain departments have additional requirements for official admission:
- Prospective music majors must audition;
- Teacher Education applicants must have an ACT score of 20 or higher, or a 1020 or higher on the SAT (for SAT testing completed prior to March 2016, minimum score requirement is 950);
- The Engineering Division recommends a Math ACT score of 25 or higher, or an SAT score of 620 or higher for success in the Engineering majors;
- The Nursing Department requires additional admission criteria when applying for admission into the upper-division Nursing Program. Refer to the requirements outlined under the Department of Nursing.
The Admissions Office reviews applications using a series of deadlines for guaranteed on-campus housing. The number of residence hall spaces available for new students is limited, and JBU admits the number of qualified candidates from the applicant pool for which available spaces exist in the residence halls.