Dec 03, 2020
Student Learning Outcomes
Students graduating with a major in Political Science will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the field.
- Know the fundamentals of democratic theory and other philosophical approaches to politics
- Understand the interplay among and relationship between political institutions in the United States
- Become familiar with key influences on voting and political behavior
- Learn how to compare and evaluate competing political systems
- Plan and execute an original research paper on a major question in political science
- Think critically.
- Participate in thoughtful and challenging classroom discussions
- Consider different perspectives through course readings
- Demonstrate writing skills.
- Demonstrate proficiency in writing critical book reviews
- Demonstrate proficiency in writing term papers centered on big questions within respective courses
- Integrate faith with the principles of Political Science.
- Develop a theological approach to politics
- Demonstrate research skills.
- Plan and execute an original paper
- Show competency in research methods and design, drawing from both qualitative and quantitative approaches
- Be prepared for post-graduate study.
- Consider applying to graduate/law school programs after graduation
Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree with major in Political Science
University Core Curriculum - 39 hours
Program requirements satisfy 9 of the 48 hours in the Core Curriculum.
- Six hours of the Social and Behavioral Sciences elective area are satisfied by two of the following: POL 1013 , POL 2163 , POL 2213 , POL 3143 , POL 3163 , POL 3173 , POL 3213 , POL 3353 , POL 3423 , POL 4243 , POL 4253 .
- Three hours of the Arts and Humanities elective area are satisfied by POL 3003 .
Courses Specified by the Department - 24 hours
Institution Course options - 3 hours
Political Science Major Electives - 9 hours
Choose three of the following
Foreign Language - 12 hours
Six hours of LS-1000, LS-2000 level courses in the same language with six additional hours from LS-1000, LS-2000 level courses, BBL 2513 , BBL 2523 , BBL 3513 , or BBL 3523 ; or six hours of LS-2000 level courses
Minor field or electives as necessary to complete minimum total hours
Minimum total semester hours - 120