Associate’s Degree Requirements
Every program requires at least 60 semester hours of credit, and it should be possible to complete any of the degrees in four semesters. Each two-year degree program carries general education requirements, requirements specified by the department, and residence requirements.
The final responsibility for meeting all degree requirements rests with the student.
Core Curriculum Requirements for Associate’s Degrees
The following courses in the university Core Curriculum must be completed by all students pursuing associate’s degrees:
Core Curriculum Courses for Associate’s Degrees
Students pursuing associate’s degrees must take all of the Required Courses and must satisfy each of the Elective Areas.
A course may satisfy only one Core Curriculum requirement.
Courses with prerequisites are marked with a superscript ‘P’.
Required Courses - 16 hours
Elective Areas - 11 hours
Note: Courses recommended for most students are shown in bold. Courses that are not bolded will satisfy the elective area but may be more appropriate for students in a particular major.
Natural Science - 3 hours
Whole Person Wellness - 2 hours
Social and Behavioral Sciences - 3 hours
- ECN 2003 , ECN 2043 , ECN 2113 , ECN 2123 P, ECN 3133 P, ECN 3213 P, ECN 4103 P, ECN 4413 P, ECN 4423 P, ECN 4993
- EN 2323
- PPE 2113 , PPE 2133
- POL 1013 , POL 2163 , POL 2213 , POL 3143 P, POL 3163 P, POL 3173 P, POL 3213 , POL 3353 P, POL 3423 P, POL 4243 P, POL 4253
- PPE 2113 , PPE 2133
- ED 2143
- FAM 2133 , FAM 2413 , FAM 3133 P, FAM 3223 P, FAM 3243 P, FAM 3273 , FAM 3413 P, FAM 4113 P, FAM 4253 P, FAM 4443 P, FAM 4453 P, FAM 4481 , FAM 4482 , FAM 4483
- PSY 1013 , PSY 1093 P, PSY 2123 , PSY 2383 P, PSY 2413 , PSY 3203 P, PSY 3303 P, PSY 3333 P, PSY 3411 P, PSY 3412 P, PSY 3413 P, PSY 3423 P, PSY 3493 P, PSY 4213 P, PSY 4333 P, PSY 4343 P, PSY 4353 P, PSY 4411 P, PSY 4412 P, PSY 4413 P, PSY 4493 P
Students in associate’s degree programs must complete two or more full-time semesters at John Brown University. At least 18 of the last 24 hours presented in fulfillment of degree requirements must be taken in residence. At least two courses totaling four credit hours in the major field or emphasis must be taken at JBU.
Correspondence and Extension Work
A maximum of 15 hours of credit may be allowed for extension work, including examinations for the establishment of credit.
Grade Point Average
The grade point average must be at least 2.0 in work presented for an associate’s degree, and at least 2.0 in the major subject or emphasis.
Maximum Experiential Credits
A limited number of credits for music ensembles, communications practicums, and guided field experience may be counted in the minimum hours for an associate’s degree.
Requirements for a Second Associate’s Degree
- Minimum of 90 semester hours.
- All requirements for both degrees.
- Six hours taken in residence in second major field.
- All other provisions of the residence requirements for the first degree.